~ A world-class education at the local level ~
We're AUTHORIZED! It's official.
After three years of preparation, two visits from representatives of the International Baccalaureate Organization, and hundreds of hours of training, planning and creative problem solving, we are now an authorized IB school.
What does this mean?
- We join thousands of schools worldwide as an official IB World School.
- 14 different IB classes begin in the fall, 2017 (as we'd planned).
- Our school library will be open 5 days/week for access by all students.
- An increased opportunity for students to have a rigorous, meaningful education.
- Onsite and remote access to Gale databases, exclusively for YV students.
Today was the first day of student interviews to admit the 2017-2019 IB cohort. We had inspiring discussions with students--they're an amazing group of young women and men. It was kismet that we also received our Letter of Authorization today from IB. As I sat in the interviews listening to students speak of their future dreams and current challenges, I was reminded that THEY are the reason we have brought the IB program to YV. I'm very grateful we are able to make this happen for our students. They deserve every chance in life that we can possibly provide and I'm honored to be part of their journey.
Apply NOW to be an IB student for Fall, 2017*
Apply to be an International Baccalaureate student for the Fall, 2017. The deadline for guaranteed acceptance if qualified is February 17th, 2017. After that date, acceptance is on a first-come, first served basis until the program is full.
What are the qualifications?
- Currently in 10th grade.
- On track to graduate with no missing credits.
- A desire to learn and excel academically.
- Read the information >
- If you are an MDUSD student, join Google classroom #: 3ckl1t (L 1 t) and follow the directions >
- If you are NOT an MDUSD student, click here for the application >
- Have teachers complete the recommendation forms >
- After the full application is received, an interview will be scheduled. An interview must be done prior to final acceptance.
Good luck and please contact the IB office if you have any questions!
IB Authorization Visit Completed!
The IB Authorization Team visited YVHS on October 31st and November 1st. The visit went well and we're very hopeful we'll receive our final confirmation of authorization by early February. For the summary of the report, please check here >
1st Parent Info Night A Success!
Last night we had the 1st of our monthly Parent Nights to explain the course offering of the IB Diploma Programme to begin in August, 2017*. If you missed it, click the link below to download the information.
The next Parent Night will be on Thursday, November 3rd, 6:30 to 8:00 in the YVHS Library. We'll be discussing the Core part of the Diploma Programme: the Theory of Knowledge class, the Extended Essay, and the Creativity, Activity, and Service component. Hope to see you there!
Application for Candidacy--granted!
Our Application for Candidacy was submitted to the International Baccalaureate Organization on April 1, 2015. On June 3, 2015, we received confirmation from the IBO that Candidacy had been granted. This means that YVHS is officially an IB Candidate School until we receive our final authorization.
Becoming an IB World School is a multi-year endeavor. YVHS is currently in the 2nd year of the application process and the next step is to submit the Application for Authorization by April 1, 2016. Following confirmation of the Application for Authorization, we're looking at:
- Visit from the IB authorizing team in Oct/Nov, 2016
- Final authorization in Spring, 2017
- First IB courses in Fall, 2017
How we're preparing
Becoming an IB World School is about more than the application. It's about teacher and student preparation. Throughout the 2015-2016 school year, the YVHS staff has had continued professional development on the IB philosophy and teaching strategies. This will continue in the 2016-2017 school year and will expand to incorporate a shift in culture around the school site--what does it mean to be an International Scholar and be internationally minded? What are the attributes of the Learner Profile and how can these be incorporated into every-day life? How can students be prepared for the rigors of the Diploma Programme?
We're excited to bring the IB Diploma Programme to YVHS and believe it to be an excellent program that will highlight the talents and possibilities of our students.